Thursday, March 12, 2009

Birds during the survey

I continue with the survey or “adventure” as I would like to put it as. While making a bird list was not the primary objective we did go on recording the birds we came across, thoroughly enjoying the process. It made me realize that birding (seeing birds, recognizing them, checking them up in the field guides, discussing their local names, recording them…..) is an amazingly effective tool for conservation education and awareness.

I share some notes I have put together.

14.02.09.....After intriguing me by making noises as if in an "attention seeking behaivour mode" and then successfully evading my binocular gaze I finally got a close look at the Grey-hooded warbler (Seicercus xanthoschistos); saw the orange colour of its beak when it was then making those noises in earnest. While the Black drongos (Dicrurus macrocercus) and Redvented bulbuls (Pycnonotus cafer) were in ‘pretty’ numbers the sightings of the Barred cuckoo dove (Macropygia unchall) and the White rumped shama (Copsychus malabaricus ) were ‘pretty’ interesting.....

16.02.09......Sitting on the river beach I saw the wagtails with their musical sways over water, a crow making its presence felt loudly and a Yellow-billed chough (Pyrrhocorax graculus). The last fellow is more small and delicate compared to jungle crows here and slimmer than a pigeon. Also the tail is broader at the end and the flight graceful. The field guide that I use doesn’t show it occurring in these parts......
a raptor clicked while on a boat on the kolodyne river
17.02.09......Crows have been very prominent today, I don’t get if they are looking for fishes or left-over food from our camp. When I saw 2 of them flying low in circles one behind the other I thought they were courting but then other 4 appeared on the scene and I thought it better to avoid avian speculations. The doves too were interesting; inconspicuous around the stones and shrubs on the beach and quick to rush to the nearby tree when one of us passed nearby.

19.02.09......We had slowed down as the climb was tough and while taking a break we saw and heard the Great hornbill (Buceros bicornis) . The wings made a ‘royal’ sound as they (there were 2) approached a tree. They then flew to another tree nearby and returned. I saw the black stripe clearly on the tail that is otherwise stark white. I recalled hearing the sound in one of Sekhar’s movie as also seeing it at Balpakram NP (South Garo Hills – Meghalaya). It has such a charisma, its like the tiger of birds.......


doves near Supha village

20.02.09.....I wake up today, knowing that we don’t have to move to another camp today and I lazily gaze around and am amazed (as I have been on very mornings) by the sight above; I see 7 Oriental pied hornbills (Anthracoceros albirostris) fly over the camp ! 2 lead the group, 3 formed the centre row while 2 followed. They were snow white when seen above the head, exhibited amazing grace as they flew and did not make the ‘royal’ sound that the great hornbill did the other day. I finally am clear with the difference in the tail markings in these two hornbills, something I had discussed with Anirban months ago; the black band was clearly missing today.

24.02.09......We are near the Border Pillar 15 on the India – Burma border and I get back with the birds today; the Indian roller (Coracias benghalensis) that I had been missing since we began the ‘adventure’ is present to greet us here. It isn’t ‘loud’ today but its stunning blue in the rays of the morning sun looks even more beautiful. While the crows and wagtails are in large numbers I also see the White-rumped munia (Lonchura striata) and the Olive-backed sunbird (Nectarinia jugularis) as I await colleagues to cook our morning meal. As I move after food along the river besides seeing the Oriental pied hornbill and hearing the “walk stopping sound” of the Great hornbill I see the Streaked spiderhunter (Arachnothera magna) and Scarlet minivets (Pericrocotus flammeus) on a single tree. The spider hunter is big and pecking red flowers while the beautiful minivets are enjoying themselves jumping up and down the branches of the same tree......

kingfisher near Lope village.

26.02.09......We see a group of Pompadour green pigeons (Treron pompadora) sitting atop a leafless tree as if awaiting sunset. About 10 of them, sitting high, unbothered by presence of 3 pairs of eyes and 2 binoculars intruding their evening sojourn. They were big, had a stately presence and the amazing colours and shared of yellow, green and brown they possessed made me put them on my list of ‘most beautiful birds’. A little down the road we spotted the Blue-eared kingfisher (Alcedo meninting), in my first sighting of the bird it looked serene, perched on a big stone in the middle of the rivulet.....

Acknowledging support of all colleaugues and the forest department of the Mara Autonomous District Council in the exercise.

No comments: