Wednesday, August 20, 2008

White browed fantail flycatcher

While lying on the bed, after tea, remains my favourite morning activity I went for a walk (on 14th August 2008) at Tuipang ‘despite’ the weather beckoning to do else wise! On reaching the water point from the Circuit House (22.31028, 93.02599) while I was pondering on which of the 2 foot paths I could take; a man washing clothes asked me where I intended to proceed. The look on his face, when I told him that I was talking this walk as I wished to see and if possible click birds, shall stay with me for some days and more. I started with the lower path, one where I and Manuna (colleague very well versed with the region) had seen jhum (shifting cultivation) plots undergoing their ritualistic burning process few months ago. Walking ahead I saw a few birds further to my right in the secondary growth of an old jhum plot but they were too fast for my amateurish birding skills. Wondering when I would learn I reached an abrupt end.

Returning to the water point I started walking on the other path. Few minutes down the line saw a couple of birds on a tree to my left in what seemed to me a not well maintained orchard. Putting the camera and binoculars down I positioned myself to have a better view of the tree and the bird! After a couple of minutes I recognized them to be fantails. Recalled Anirban (colleague and wildlife biologist) having pointed it out to me during one of our walks in Agraa (Madhya Pradesh) during December 2007 (though I don’t recall today which of the fantails it was). I saw it pirouetting amongst branches and in the meanwhile tried to refer my field guide. Suddenly one of them crossed the path and settled on a bush about 12 to 15 feet from me at about 2 to 4 feet from the ground. I was able to catch it on the binoculars (pretty quick by my standards!) ~ It was a White browed fantail flycatcher (Rhipidura auresia). The white streak on the brow was distinctly visible. I saw it for few minutes chirping and jumping till it left the bush.Salim Ali’s Book of Indian Birds says of its distribution “The entire Indian Union, extending east to Myanmar, also Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.”

Jhum field at Tuipang

It was my first close and confirmed sighting of the bird in Saiha region and I was thrilled. While it may or may not be rare to the region I was glad like we used to be in our school days on adding a new postal stamp to our collection! I had enjoyed seeing the bird enough to exercise photography (another of my amateurish skills!).

For details - email > nimesh.ved@gmail.com phone > 94361 56458

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

in titha khopmai!! in hnathawhah a chhuanawm lutk! tluangzel ang che u

duhsakna kahlan nghal a che u.