Sunday, August 1, 2010

Conservation Leadership Course - 2010 -

I looked at the details of program for the Conservation Leadership Course - 2010 organized by Tiger Watch. Actions in course of the program included talks on anti-poaching by Dharmendra Khandal who has done pioneering work on the concern in the landscape, Media’s role and new trends in conservation by Jay Mazoomdar who is well-known as the person who unmasked Sariska, Community and conservation by Dr. Govardhan Rathore and of course visits to Ranthambhore National Park and Banas River. I too was to share my learning and experience on conservation education. 

A month later as I reached Ranthambhore for the program I was happy to have some time to get acclimatized to the crazy heat that the place offered, prior to the program. Conservation education has had me enthused since past few years and was I glad to get the space to interact on the subject in a different setting. 


The program began with presentations on Tiger Watch and Gharial Exploration recently undertaken by Tiger Watch. I found them to be nicely done. I realized that despite it's glamour, press-coverage, proximity to New Delhi and (well!!) bearing tigers there apparently aren’t wildlife groups having a sustained presence at Ranthambhore National Park and how Kaila Devi Wildlife Sanctuary despite being a part of the Ranthambhore Tiger Reserve and boasting of an expanse larger than that of the Ranthambhore National Park is treated like a poor cousin. Gharial exploration gave me more insights into the Chambal that for me is the most beautiful river I have laid my sights on and which I see from the train near Dholpur. The simplicity of the exploration was appealing as were the energy levels. Giving them space and allowing them to function on their own was nice to see on Dharmendra’s part. My mind wandered on to the discussions we have had at our field-bases on volunteers. Participants, nearly half of them from Bangalore, and hailing from diverse backgrounds had a series of questions ranging from whether Muggers (Crocodylus palustris) would sustain the ecosystem if we lost Gharials (Gavialis gangeticus) to why the government was not taking interest on the issue.


Dharmendra talked of his efforts on anti-poaching in and around the landscape focussing on the Moghiyas. It was nice to see ‘direct-talk’ on the subject, sharing of incidents that he had been a part of as also interacting with a couple of Moghiyas present at the venue We saw the film on Moghias that depicted these efforts. The strength I understand lay in the intensity of his efforts at a single landscape over a stretch of time. I was fondly reminded of my days roaming in the forests of Sheopur (undertaking research on Moghiyas) and asked myself whether I wanted to take the program ahead on my own ~ some day !

Jay too interacted with participants, often throwing questions like ‘why do we need tigers?’. We discussed the situation in Ranthambhore Tiger Reserve as also the proposal then in news to discontinue tourism in Core Areas. This point got us to the question whether it was fair to relocate people in the name of tiger and then set up tourism related infrastructure as also whether curbing tourism in certain well known tiger bearing protected areas would benefit national parks and wildlife sanctuaries that currently espouse a low profile. We also saw his film on leopard relocation and I loved the sequence that depicts 2 captured leopards interacting! 


On my part I talked of Conservation Education (as I understand it currently) and work on it, the scenario in Mizoram, actions undertaken by different organization and also screened a film that talked of hunting. How we began function in a landscape and also the way things worked (or didn’t) in Mizoram – Meghalaya were discussed.

We went to the villages where Prakratik Society has put in efforts with people staying on the periphery of the Ranthambhore National Park. This includes a hospital and a gobar-gas plat. Dr. Govardhan Rathore also came and showed collated clippings from several films. These focussed on the national park movement in USA, the birth of Yellowstone National Park, the political will to save the wilderness that was looked upon as national wealth, disappearance of the bison and more. I have seen quite a few films on wildlife but this session was amazing and enlightening.


We also had a cultural program by the Moghiyas where they sang and danced including to a song of theirs that had been recently remixed. An award function that felicitated ‘Heroes of Ranthambhore’ and ‘Ex Poachers’ was organized as was a musical evening. There was a dinner on the banks of Banas river and I loved walking along the moonlit river after a delicious dal-bati-churma meal. Icing on the cake was our sighting the Striped Hyena (Hyaena hyaena) on way back. Visits to the Ranthambhore National Park i.e. the safaris too were fun and had us all enthused. I saw tiger (Panthera tigris) in the wild finally and amongst the other species Rudy Mongoose (Herpestes smithii), Painted Spurfowl (Galloperdix lunulata)and Asian Paradise Flycatcher (Terpsiphone paradise) had me excited.



Facilitating a deliberation on conservation I believe is of a greater utility than stating of wildlife related facts and the interaction sessions as also informal demeanour of the course stand our as its were the strengths.  It was invigorating to interact with participants, get to know of their diverse perspectives on wildlife conservation and of course their knowledge and interest levels. At times one tends to get confined to limited circle a la ‘frog in a well’ and these gatherings act as a welcome change besides of course presenting an opportunity to learn more on wildlife and conservation education.

Thanking Tiger Watch, Dharmendra and all participants.

All the images are from the 2 trips inside the Ranthambhore National Park by way of morning safaris. 

No comments: